Saturday, April 23, 2011

Saturday Confessional

I always thought "bouncing off the walls" was just a saying until I had children of my own . . . they really do bounce themselves off the walls. And the floor. And the couch. And the coffee table. And each other. If it's there, they are bouncing off of it.

I couldn't take it anymore, so they are parked in front of SpongeBob until further notice.

I took the kids to the mall today and we will never be able to erase from our minds what we saw there. Lots of Saturday people, milling around. Lots of skin, hanging out of clothes. And not in a pleasant way, if you get my drift.

I yelled at my kids several times this afternoon.

I had an indepth conversation with my daughter about the bottle we saw on the ground, tucked inside a paper sack, and how it probably got there. I told her it may have had something to do with the beggar we encountered in the parking lot. The beggar we ignored.

I forgot to get stuff for my kids' Easter baskets, so I lied to them when we were at Target, pretending that I was buying a couple of little things for their cousins.

I feel like a Bad Mom. And today I think I was. At least for a couple of (several) hours anyway.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23

But tonight, tomorrow and every day of my life from now on, I will have chances to make right decisions. And I am forgiven when I don't. I have hope.

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5: 1-8

Jesus Christ has taken my sins away.

He has given me gifts to grow so that can I be a better Mom, wife, citizen, friend. So I can be holy in the eyes of God.

He is my Redeemer and He lives!

Easter is tomorrow and I am glad that I don't have a candy treat spectacle prepared for my children, care of the Easter Bunny. (They will get a little something, if any of you are worried.) I can't wait to wake them up while it is still dark and walk over to my neighbors' house to watch the sunrise over the mountains, and remind them of the story of our salvation. That all of us make mistakes and need redemption, even (especially) dear old Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment