Sunday, August 21, 2011

Crispy, Cheesy Waffles

This recipe makes enough for my family of four, but it is easily doubled, tripled . . . quadrupled? ;)

Crispy, Cheesy Waffles
Prepare the Sour Milk:
2 T. apple cider vinegar plus enough milk to make 2 cups (let this sit for 5 minutes)

Combine Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cups flour (We have a grain mill and love the taste of freshly ground flour the best!  You can use whatever flour you have on hand. Substituting 1/2 c. of cornmeal is a delicious twist.)
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 1/4 t. baking powder

Combine Wet Ingredients
2 c. sour milk or buttermilk
1/4 cup oil or butter
2 eggs

Combine wet and dry ingredients (just enough and not too much!) until most of the lumps are gone.

Butter waffle iron.  Pour enough batter to fill your waffle iron about 2/3 full and sprinkle cheddar cheese or fiesta cheese blend on top. We use a Belgian waffle maker for this and it yields a very crispy, fluffy waffle.  When the waffle is ready, place it on a cooling rack for a few seconds to keep it from getting soggy.  You do not need a fork for this.  Just pick it up and eat it with your hands. I eat mine right off the cooling rack . . .

If cheese is not your thing, omit it and throw some butter and pure maple syrup on your plate.  And use a fork, please.

2 comments:

  1. I am hoping to try these this weekend. LOL, I had just finished reading your post on "Never an Extra Ordinary Day" when I began reading this post. I saw the sentence prepare sour milk and somethng about apple cidar vinegar.

    I stopped reading walked about ten feet to the kitchen and poured a cup of coffee! Then stood there trying to figure out why I had gone in there.

    I did eventually remember but it seemed your earlier post was really taking a jab at me. At least I found out I do actually have apple cidar vinegar. Oh and a full cup of coffee I didn't even really want.

    Meet your new and very odd follower from the Hip Homeschool Hop

    Danelle (http://ourwolvesden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walk into rooms several times a day and have no idea why I had gone in there....glad I'm not the only one!

    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete